Sunday, March 29, 2009

Mary


A couple of days ago I finished reading Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. Good stuff and it's a very
quick, enjoyable read. I wanted to create a piece of 'art' from what I had just read. I kept on having flashes of a life-less hand. A hand that would be brought to life, by one very misguided soul.

This work went really, really quick. I shot my hand against a white wall, with natural light streaming through a window. Silly hand poses with fingers outstretched, to imply 'grasping' or rigor mortis. I then processed the photo through a couple of black and white filters to remove colors and darken the image up a bit. I then ran a couple of filters to add cracks and the reddish border effect to the left side of the photo. Took a brush and added vertical scratches. Applied the image to itself to finish the effect. Off to watch me some Young Frankenstein....



"My person was hideous and my stature gigantic. What did this mean? Who was I? What was I? Whence did I come? What was my destination? These questions continually recurred, but I was unable to solve them"

"I shall die, and what I now feel be no longer felt. Soon these burning miseries will be extinct. I shall ascend my funeral pile triumphantly and exult in the agony of the torturing flames. The light of that conflagration will fade away; my ashes will be swept into the sea by the winds. My spirit will sleep in peace, or if it thinks, it will not surely think thus. Farewell"

Frau Blücher: I came to tell you that your fiance should be arriving any second!
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: [shirtless] Elizabeth! Here, tonight?
Frau Blücher: I suggest you put on a tie!