Sunday, March 22, 2009

Anna



This was one of my first attempts at TTV Photography. Wandering around a friends neighborhood in mid-winter. As the winter sun was beginning to fade I happened upon yellowed/golden coloured grass.

When one looks into the viewfinder of an old reflex camera, in my case it's a kodak brownie, images appear to leap/jump out at you. It's a very stereoscopic effect, and the images in the lens reminded me of looking through a ViewMaster as a kid. I tried to duplicate the effect by using Photoshop.

1. The original image had to be cropped to remove the old camera border. 2. I then took a black brush and started 'painting' out the background. There are quicker ways to mask out a background but I enjoy getting close to my work, a labour of love if you will. 3. I then ran a couple of filters to 'orange' up the image. 4. Added lens blur to try to give the image a 3d feel and soften up some of the jagged pixels due to the removal of the background. Can't say i suceeded, but I was pleased with the final result.

Now for the poetry, I couldn't find my favorite poem by Anna Akmatova, but i think this poem works well with the image.

Anna Akhmatova (1889 — 1966)

Memory of Sun

Memory of sun seeps from the heart.
Grass grows yellower.
Faintly if at all the early snowflakes
Hover, hover.

Water becoming ice is slowing in
The narrow channels.
Nothing at all will happen here again,
Will ever happen.

Against the sky the willow spreads a fan
The silk's torn off.
Maybe it's better I did not become
Your wife.

Memory of sun seeps from the heart.
What is it? -- Dark?
Perhaps! Winter will have occupied us
In the night.